Sunday, July 17, 2011

Accident!

Ace bandage and discolored foot

It seems that there is always one big challenge per day on this trip. Sometimes it is following directions to someones home. Sometimes it is weather. One time it was food poisoning. Yesterday it was an accident.

I am not the most agile person on the bike. I have been biking for a long time now, but I still cant take both hands off the bike at one time, and I often walk my bike across busy streets. So yesterday, when I tried to hop up on a curb, I naturally fell off my bike. Celia Bedelia status here. I have fallen off my bike a few times before, but not with any injuries. However, this time it looks like I have sprained my ankle. Not ideal for a bike tour.

We are taking a day to rest at a warmshowers host in Bremen, Germany. His name is Torston and he is our age, living with 3 other housemates, finishing university-- much more remenicent of our lives in Oakland than any other hosts we have stayed with. Found an Oklahoma license plate in the bathroom which I thought was pretty random, but then found out that Torston studied abroad there during highschool!

I am doing RICE and I think it is working. But i think the R might stand for both Rest and Restlessness... we are planning on taking a train to Hamburg tomorrow and then biking down the Elbe River Valley to Berlin. Hopefully my ankle will be up for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment